Wednesday, April 30, 2008

from my portfolio intro/dedication


So I finished my portfolio defense today and passed with an excellent score! I'm so proud of myself and grateful to all the people who have helped me sooooo much. You never know when you may be influencing someone in a productive manner, that's all I'm gonna say! I wanted to reprint part of my introduction/dedication page because I took the opportunity to make my advisor read about how thankful I am to other people. The dedication part was NOT necessary in his eyes, but totally required in mine. THanks, y'all!! -- <3 Adr

___________________________________________________________________________________-

Have you ever heard the phrase, “How do you eat an elephant?” The answer is of course, “One bite at a time.” No, it’s not quite Oedipus solving the riddle of the Sphynx, but it has been a bit of a mantra for me as I worked through my Master of Arts in Teaching English program at Agnes Scott College. This year has been a whirlwind of activities, friendships, assignments, concerts, field trips, lesson plans, and meetings with students. At times, I never thought I’d be able to finish the elephant on my plate, but as Aesop’s tortoise states, “Slow and steady wins the race.”

None of this program or portfolio would have been possible without the kind and generous support of energizing women mentors and friends. I feel incredible gratefulness to the following: my cooperating teacher, Mrs. Amy Jurskis, for her tireless good advice; Dr. Betty Scott Noble for her commitment to the Agnes Scott community; Dr. Rosemarie Garland-Thomson, for her encouragement to pursue Women’s Studies; the Ladies of Luchsingers a Cappella, for giving me the opportunity to make beautiful music and sing on this fabulous campus; my mom Anita and sister Emily for faithful understanding; the Amnesty International executive board on which I serve with Sarah, Allison, Courtney, and Jakevia; the English Departments of Tri-Cities High School and Inman Middle School, for sharing their students; my MAT cohorts, Maddie Shepherd (Crowhurst!) and Christy Williams, for being sister Scotties in the Black Ring Mafia; and President Elizabeth Kiss, for her vision of this World for Women. I’d also like to thank all the students I observed and taught at Mt. Zion Elementary School, Avondale Middle School, Inman Middle School, Chamblee High School, and Tri-Cities High School. My love goes to my close friends and roommates, Will, Katy, Jay, Shelley, and Chelsea.
Journey with me for a fresh bite of elephant. Bon appetite!

No comments: