Tuesday, October 9, 2007

caffeine buzz

So, I'm sitting in my class right now (uh oh!) and I'm totally experiencing the shakes and the zaps (as Emily denotes) from not enough food (I had awesome cracker barrel sour dough toast, yumm) but I ran out of time to finish my homework AND eat...so I'm sitting in this AWFUL class and shaking like a leaf in a windstorm. Speaking of windstorms, I decided it would be a good idea to walk back from class after my Women' s Studies class and then work on homework and let Bella take a walk, but neglected to think about the clouds building in the sky. Ah yes, I had to walk back the gigantic 8/10ths of a mile to Agnes Scott in the rain, and yes, my umbrellas are in the trunk of my car, parked in the parking deck. Tragic, really. :-P I think I can credit an old friend Ivan with saying "tragic" all the time, so the "tragic, really" is a spin-off of that. I say it in a smarmy accent; it's better that way.
So, my tummy wants food, and less Cream Soda, however, the A&W was quite delicious as it was going down. I suppose avocado and tomato salad will do for dinner tonight-- I'm trying to get into the habit of buying food that I like and will eat...and doing so! It sounds so simple, but I've grown up in the times of buying in bulk (I come from a family with 5 children!!) and I tend to buy things and accidentally let them expire. Not exciting, especially given my financial times right now. I pick convenient nutrition in times of stress...ie, eating out, instead of spending time cooking when I need to be doing other things. It works for me...but not so much for my budget! I'm doing better I think...and I'm trying!!
Okay, so, I'm just writing about my silly diet, but what better things are blogs for?
So, in seriousness, I'm playing around with the idea of changing my name. Today is the 5-month anniversary of my paternal grandmother's death (RIP--MLCG) and she's the only one in my family (who I care about) who would be offended if I dropped my last name. I'm taking all these classes having to do with identity and naming and the intersections of our identities...I think the past of my name of my father has been changed throughout my life...it was initially French pronunciation and then anglocized to an awful version, and then I've personally shortened it (in schools) to the initial "G" and, quite honestly, that works for me. I have no connection to having the name of my father and continually perpetuating the masculine patriarchy. More power to the women who feel comfort with that...I wish I did, but alas, I do not have that positive connection. Anyway, I feel very funny about my name as it's connected to my identity-- even my first name was finally selected by my father (agreed upon after hours of deliberation) and I was born after a rather short labor...I was ready to be out and into the world!
My middle name was chosen by my mom and I like it...I know several other women my age (you know who you are!) who have the same middle name and I like it a lot. I think it may be a good last name...any thoughts?

4 comments:

AC Brandt said...

I like the name idea! Using your middle name (and you know I'm a fan of it!) as a last makes you sound very glamorous/movie star/important person.

shell said...

hey there - awesome new blog. I like the chic step up from Xanga. Also, I think that i like Adrienne Leigh. It suits you. :D

Jennifer said...

Hi, Adrienne!

I'm glad you're blogging! Me too...you can link to my page when you click on my name. Speaking of names, I think yours is really pretty, but, if you don't feel it defines you, who you are, and what you care about, change it up! -Jennifer (Dr. Griffith)

Mike T said...

Adrienne Leigh does have a nice ring to it. I'll always love you no matter what you chose to call yourself.

Unk Mike