Wednesday, October 17, 2007

changes...

Man, what a day, what a week. Wait. I should be careful and not use gender-specific language. Now I'm looking for that all the time, thanks Caro! :) Darn! what a day!...No, Crap! What a day! Well, I think I should just rewrite this draft...haha!

I've just finished a book for my ws class called "Willow Weep For Me: a Black Woman's Journey Through Depression" by Meri Nana-Ama Danquah. She's a Ghanian immigrant who also has written about her immigrant experience-- which I'd like to read as well. I can't find that much stuff on her online-- (I think she needs a better website!) but her writing was so incredibly insightful and powerful to me. I never think to flag, dogear, highlight, and write all over books as much as I have with this book. It's honestly been more useful to me than years of on-and-off therapy have been as well! If you can, or, I'm trying to figure out a way to put the intro to her book up somehow (maybe it's on Amazon?), it's really, really great-- whether you've suffered (or are suffering) with depression or want to know more about the illness. My ws class is "women's disability studies" and taking depression as an illness-- a disability-- is a new track for me-- I've always just looked at my depression as something that needs to be squashed and hidden and not talked about...that it is shameful. What a book to bring it out into the light.

No comments: