Monday, January 27, 2014

Adventures of Scrappy Pete, Little help from my Friends

Good luck clover found on a walk with good dogs
Petey Bella has no trouble making friends. She is pretty intuitive about other dogs and usually takes the submissive role with them, even if they are smaller than her. Now, I've noticed that she doesn't like to meet other dogs while she's on a leash, and she does not like dog parks. I think it goes back to her life prior to being rescued...I think she was put in some terrible situations and so she goes all PTSD on the other dogs in the dog park. I digress...

When someone comes over to play, or she goes to someone else's house, she's just the coolest pup. I pet-sat for a family in Decatur, who I'd met through Sittercity.com. Their little poodle mix, Shadow, was a super fun, well-trained pup and he just loved Petey Bella and Leo (my boyfriend at the time's dog). The follow-up comment from Shadow's mom was, "Shadow didn't want to come home from Camp Adrienne!" Petey had great fun running and playing with my pal Christy's dogs Jazzy and Stumbles. Stumbles and Petey were too cute sharing stuffed toys. They'd each carry them around and set them on their dog beds and then borrow them back from the other.

Smiling pups on a ROAD TRIP!
Petey Bella gets along great with my mom's dog Siena. Siena is very alpha, but she and Petey have never had any disagreement. When I still lived in Atlanta, we called it doggie-sleepover and Siena would get to come over to my house to play! (Wow, that's totally a "Stuff White People Like" there.)

 I moved to Denver in July and didn't bring Pete with me because of the hectic nature of MOVING TO AN ENTIRELY NEW CITY 1500 MILES AWAY WITHOUT ANY MAJOR PLAN OTHER THAN A JOB CONTRACT scared me about bringing a dog with no apartment. Due to 3 major work travels, I didn't make it back to Atlanta to pick her up until December. 6 months without my pup? Torture for me! She and Siena got to play, fight over my mom, and snuggle.

Petey and Phoebe sit patiently for treats.
My mom had knee surgery, so Petey got to go visit with my friend Monica and her pups, German Pointers, Phoebe and Gabby. Petey has stayed with them several times-- and prior to Gabby, they had a very old dog named Tessie. PT Bella was super sweet and calm with her-- it's like she realized she needed to be patient with a geriatric friend. Speaking of those "kids," as Monica calls them, those dogs have a great backyard with a doggie door. It took Bella many many times of watching Phoebe zip in and out of the dog door before she would bother. She liked having someone open the door for her better, anyway.

Petey and Duchess waiting on a bedtime story
Of course Petey gets along great with little Duchess, my sister's dog, and our family's first dog. My sister Emily and I were roommates for much of our twenties-- so Duchess and Petey were too. They would sleep with each one of us, but whichever of us went to work first-- the dog hightailed it out of our bedroom and beeline for the other bed-- to get snuggled in with her furry sister and other owner. Crafty pooches! My mom noticed it with Siena and Petey, and my sister and I noticed it with Duchess and Petey-- they like to lie down on the bed either symmetrically or identically. It's pretty sweet.

 My sister married this great guy who has a great dog, Abe-- he's a pretty similar build to Petey. He's a rescue lab-pit mix, and he's the most loyal, perfect dog. I don't usually like boy dogs, but Abraham is phenomenal. Petey, Abe, and Duchess have gotten to have some fun visits while my sister and her husband honeymooned and took other trips. Who doesn't love a good dog pile? :)

Abe and Pete, sleeping off some good laps
Siena and Pete, snuggle pups

Barely no room for da hoomans to sleep

No comments: