Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February Races that Weren't...Part 3


On February 22, I attempted (see here) to run the Parker Valentine's Day 5k race. There were a few problems-- namely I forgot my shoes, I slipped in ice, and I lost the course. Bad stuff happens in threes, so they say...so I decided to cut my losses, and take my cold and soggy-bummed self home.

This nature preserve goes right up to backyards.
I checked on my phone GPS the route I was going to take home, and I noticed that there was a small "Ecological Park" on the way. I thought, vhat ees dees? And pulled off when I saw the parking area. It turned out it was part of the Cherry Creek Regional Trail (which is an awesome paved bike and running path that goes through the city of Denver) and a nature preserve. I will write a post at a later date with more of my pictures and my observations-- but this post is about the race that wasn't.

Since I was wearing my expensive (and slightly amazing) New Balance Lightning Dry pants, I realized that my bum was basically dry from having slipped in ice about 20 minutes before. I decided, you know? I wanted to run a 5k today. So what if I don't cross a finish line? I'll measure this bad boy and run a 5k here instead.

The clouds cleared up a little and I saw some people walking their dogs, running, and biking along the regional trail. The Ecological Park trail was all my own though! I set my running app and started to go!
Stinky goodwill shoes on a snowy path
Very cool path across the creek-- with deer tracks and natural drainage control

There were wooden bridges, gravel, paved paths, mud, dirt, and snow. There were ducks and geese and what I surmise were bird or bat homes on the underside of a bridge. It was a beautiful nugget of a preserved land practically in the city. I ran my little over 3 miles, so I considered my race well run.

Good work Arapahoe County and Colorado. Keep it natural. I needed this respite!


No comments: