Thursday, November 29, 2007

Note to self: don't change for anyone

“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’ ”

Katy likes this quote I think, it's Kurt Vonnegut...I like it too. I just came across it and I like the "hello babies" part because I don't feel patronizing when I call my high schoolers babies. I don't mean immature, I mean, babies, like I think my giant stinky dog is a big baby. I mean, seriously, I adore her...so, yeah. Whatever. My head hurts today...pretty much has all day...and it's kind of spinning from hearing a friend relay some of her life experiences. Lemme tell ya, Arleen is something else. I knew she was "balls of steel" senior...but oh, my god, she's been through hell. Oh, and when google makes suggestions when you type in "Kurt", Cobain comes up before Vonnegut. That's kinda sad.

On an unrelated note, I finally bought Ryan Adams' Rock and Roll cd-- mainly because Em keeps forgetting to set it on fire for me. haha. SO, I think my favorite song is "Wish you were Here" because of the openning--

Cotton candy and a rotten mouth
You know you're so fucked up
You know I couldn't help but have it for you
It's all a bunch of shit
And there's nothing to do around here
It's totally fucked up
I'm totally fucked up
Wish you were here...

I love that..."cotton candy and a rotten mouth" I LOVE cotton candy. In Arleen's words, "Girl, you cuss like a sailor, worse than me! What is the good God in Texas gonna think?" Dunno where I'm going with this...but I like it. The other Ryan Adams song I like is "So Alive"---Always on your side--I'm on your side--And so alive it isn't real...again, not sure where I'm going with this...but it feels self-affirmative.

Had a nice chat with John last night...he is one of few people who can bring out a genuine (not Scarlet Ohara, not Redneck Randy, etc.) Southern accent in me. Funny. I do wish he was here...hmmm. Maybe the circle is complete...(taps fingertips menacingly!)

Okay, I'm loopy, still feeling this headache, and have much too much to do tomorrow. Peace!

No comments: